| Voluntary wheel running
||Standard laboratory cages with attached running wheels
||Assess body composition
||Lean mass, fat mass
||Determine food intake
- Whole body MRI (EchoMRI 3-in-1 Body Composition Analyzer, EchoMRI, Houston TX)
Procedure: Body weight and body composition
- Mice are weighed prior to MRI.
- Body composition is assessed using whole body MRI prior to the start of the experiment, mid experiment (2 wks) and at the end of the experiment (4 wks).
- All measurements are collected between 0700 and 1200h.
- Fat mass and lean mass percentages are calculated relative to body weight.
- Three responses are calculated: response 1 (wks 1-2), response 2 (wks 3-4), and total response (from start to 4 wks).
- Response = [((Post percentage - Pre percentage)/Pre percentage) * 100]
Procedure: Food intake
- Food is weighed at the beginning and end of the time period for wks 1-2 and wks 3-4.
- Food intake is calculated as [Pre food weight â post food weight].
- Body weight
- Body composition
- Fat percentage
- Lean percentage
- Responses (changes)
- Body weight over time
- Fat percentage over time
- Lean percentage over time
- Food intake