Project protocol - Contents
- Workflow and sampling
- Equipment and supplies
- Reagents and solutions
- Procedure: Endurance exercise test
- Definitions and calculations
Workflow and sampling
Step Procedure performed Equipment Data collected 1 Familiarization with equipment treadmill - 2 Body weight measured prior to each test scale body weight 3 Endurance exercise test treadmill duration, distance, work
Acclimation to test conditions
Mice were allowed one week to become accustomed to the housing facility before starting the exercise test.
Procedure: Endurance exercise test
Mice perform two graded exercise endurance tests on a 6-lane treadmill, separated by 48 h. For each mouse, the test average is taken.
- Mice are first familiarized for 2 days: day 1 running for 10 min, 10° incline, at a speed of 9 m/min; day 2 running for 10 min, 10° incline, at a speed of 11 m/min.
- Mice are tested on days 3 and 5 after weighing. The exercise capacity protocol is as follows: 9 min, 0° incline, speed 9 m/min --> 9 min, 5° incline, speed 10 m/min --> thereafter speed was increased 2.5 m/min every 3 min, grade was increased 5° every 9 min to a maximum grade of 15°.
- Testing is terminated when mice maintain contact with the grid for more than 15 s continuously or can no longer be motivated to run.
Definitions and calculations
- work: calculated as a product of body weight and vertical distance, where vertical distance = distance run x sin(theta), where theta is equal to the angle of the treadmill
- body weight